MATCH REPORT: St Martins 3-2 Oswestry Town

The venue hosted a special night under the lights as St Martins faced Oswestry in a local derby which lived up to its name as the game finished 3-2 with late drama.

First half:

The first half started quickly as it was a fairly quiet start but then suddenly in the 13th minute Oswestry opened the scoring after some good work was done down the right hand side, a dangerous ball was whipped into David Howarth who got himself some space and placed a decent header into the top right hand corner. The game was then quite tight as both teams were evenly matched in the middle of the field but both team were resistant; although the saints did grab chances where they could and our first chance fell to Tawanda Melusi who found himself with some space on the edge of the box, hit it first time but it was always rising and went over the bar. It wasn’t long after this that the saints capitalised on the chances they were creating as in the 37th minute the saints played some very nice one touch football to build up a low cross into the box which Karl Bailey got himself onto unmarked, hit it first time into the bottom right hand corner to level the playing field and make it 1-1 going into half time.

Second half:

The second half carried on from the first as the saints carried on their momentum from the end of the first half and looked very positive as they pressed well and looked to create some chances but nothing too prominent. Then the saints really started applying the pressure as they won a corner after some good play and it was a short corner, taken quickly by Tawanda Melusi who lay it off for Calum Bennet on his favoured left foot to whip it in first time and find the head of a looming Stuart dickin who grabbed our second with a very well placed header and give the saints the lead in the 72nd minute. The lead was shortly lived though as Oswestry equalised only two minutes later in the 74th minute as Liam Parry did some nice work from a counter to square it across to Louis moss to rolled it into an open net to equalise. The game then began to get a lot more competitive than it already was as both teams seemed desperate to get all three points as both teams were working hard late on; then in the 93rd minute in true derby drama style a high ball was lofted into the box which found it’s way to Karl Bailey who grabbed his second and St Martins’ third and what turned out to be the winner in injury time and The Saints walked away with a well fought three points.

Written By Liam Vaughan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *