MATCH REPORT: St Martins 2-6 New Mills

After suffering their 3rd straight league defeat with a 2-3 loss away to Cheadle Heath Nomads the previous Saturday, St Martins took their losing run to 4 games as they crashed to a very disappointing 2-6 home defeat by New Mills in their Hallmark Security League Division 1 South clash at Park Hall Stadium on Saturday.
Saints had gone into the game in 10th place in the table 4 points behind 9th placed Cheadle Heath Nomads with both 8th placed Abbey Hulton United and 7th placed Sandbach United a further 7 points ahead with Abbey Hulton ahead on goal difference.
Meanwhile, New Mills went into the game on the back of 2 straight league defeats which had left them in 18th place out of 20 in the table, level on points with 17th placed Cammell Laird 1907 but behind on goal difference and having played 2 games more than Lairds.
Saints got off to a flying start by taking the lead after just 97 seconds when a stray forward pass by New Mills defender Tom Russell in the centre circle on the visitors’ right was intercepted by Calum Williams, who took a touch before sending a low forward diagonal ball to George Durrell on the right.  He took a touch before sending a low through ball to Jordan Davies outside the right hand corner of the box, whose flighted cross into the middle found Shawn Melusi who sent his header from 6 yards into New Mills keeper Stuart Morrison’s top left hand corner.
New Mills equalised in the 17th minute when Luke Hincks’ free kick from the left to the far post saw Ben Bevan pulled down in the box by Saints defender Jack Bates, Stoke on Trent referee Dan Parkes said penalty and after the fuss died down, Joe Rothwell stepped up to fire the resulting spot kick into Saints keeper George Austin’s left hand corner.
Saints were forced into their first substitution in the 18th minute when the injured Davies was replaced by Andrew Flann.
New Mills went 2-1 up in the 33rd minute when Dan Vinten’s long ball over the top on the left was missed by Saints defender Stuart Dickin and found the lively Remeece Brown, who ran infield and took an over-committed touch with the ball coming off his left foot to the suspiciously offside-looking Georgi Whyment on the penalty spot who fired his right foot shot from 12 yards into Austin’s left hand corner.
It was 3-1 in the 39th minute when Hincks’ floated corner from the right to the far post found Liam Delaney who rose highest to send his header from 3 yards with the aid of a deflection off Saints defender Jay Stoker on the goal-line into Austin’s top right hand corner.
Saints pulled a goal back in the 57th minute when Harvey Plimmer’s short corner from the right found Durrell whose first time cross into the middle found Melusi, who sent his header from the edge of the 6 yard box into Morrison’s left hand corner to make it 3-2.
Just 73 seconds later (now in the 58th minute), it was 4-2 when Rothwell’s short corner from the left found Brown who took a touch and made a diagonal run from the left towards the middle of the D before firing his right foot shot from 22 yards into the centre of the net.
Saints made their second change in the 59th minute when Brendon Price came on to replace Flann.
It was 5-2 in the 60th minute when Rothwell’s ball over the top from the right fell to Brown who took a touch before sending his curling left foot shot from 30 yards into Austin’s top right hand corner.
It was 6-2 in the 65th minute when Vinten’s long ball over the top on the left found Rothwell who ran into the left of the box before being shoulder-barged by Bates, referee Parkes said penalty and Brown stepped up to fire the resulting spot kick into Austin’s left hand corner to complete his hat-trick on his debut for the club.
New Mills made their first change in the 66th minute when Jake Dunford came on to replace Hincks before making their second change in the 72nd minute when James Power came on to replace Delaney.
Saints made their final change in the 76th minute when Dan Stevens came on to replace the injured Dickin.
Then deep into the 88th minute, Durrell won a tackle with Adam Cooper on the left of midfield and seemed to clearly get the ball.  However, referee Parkes saw it differently and with Durrell having already been shown a yellow card in the 45th minute, he was shown a second yellow and sent off to leave Saints with 10 men for the final 2 minutes plus added time.
The final blast of referee Parkes’ whistle after 1 minute and 12 seconds of added time at the end brought the game to a close and confirmed Saints’ worst defeat of the season.
Saints: George Austin, Jack Bates, Calum Bennett, Calum Williams, Jay Stoker, Stuart Dickin, Jordan Davies, George Durrell, Karl Bailey, Shawn Melusi, Harvey Plimmer.  Subs: Brendon Price (for Andrew Flann 59), Andrew Flann (for Davies 18), Dan Stevens (for Dickin 76).
New Mills: Stuart Morrison, Adam Cooper, Dan Vinten, Tom Russell, Ben Bevan, Liam Delaney, Robbie Swallow, Luke Hincks, Georgi Whyment, Joe Rothwell, Remeece Brown.  Subs: Jordan Pendlebury (for Brown 74), Jake Dunford (for Hincks 66), James Power (for Delaney 72), Dan Tweedie (not used), Ben Parkinson (not used).   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *