MATCH REPORT: St Martins 1-3 Sandbach United

St Martins hosted Cheshire based side, Sandbach FC in a game which St Martins were unfortunate to lose as the game ended 3-1.

First half:

We were caught off early on as Sandbach got a corner in the 4th minute, the St Martins defence attempted to clear it but it only went as far as Sandbach forward James Kirby who cut in from the left to put it on his right foot and bend it in the top right hand corner and the saints trailed very early on. The saints attempted to respond only six minutes later as Calum Bennet played a exquisite long ball over to Harvey Plimmer who found space on the far left side, he controlled it well and as he drove forward it all looked very promising but the keeper just got a hand onto his shot to put it wide for a corner. The saints were beginning to play well and that early goal looked even more unfortunate as time passed on; Jordan Davies got himself some space on the right wing, he attempted to play a lofted through ball into the box but none of our attackers could get a touch onto it to convert it. The game was very much of a deadlock in terms of the two teams performances as they both attempted to attack and defend seamlessly but neither could succeed in doing so. As the whistle blew for half time it felt like a game that should’ve been a draw as the teams were very evenly matched but Sandbach were in the lead due to that early goal.

Second half:

Starting off the second half the saints looked to level things; Tawanda Melusi got himself a blinder of a chance as a low ball was played into the box, fell straight to his feet and he had all the time but he couldn’t get his shot right and he rolled it into the keepers hands. Next up Tom Ashe got himself a decent chance as he jumped up and got himself onto a decent cross but he couldn’t generate enough power to put it past the Sandbach keeper as he dealt with it fairly comfortably. In the 65th minute Harvey Plimmer came off for Karl Bailey due to injury. In the 70th minute Sandbach got their second through Christopher Smith as he got himself onto a long ball, waited for the ball to drop before volleying it into the bottom left hand corner. Then only 10 minutes later Sandbach got their third as they are played in behind, and it is squared to Josh Lane for an open goal for what looked to be the sealer for the game; substitute Karl Bailey attempted to get St Martins back into this one as in the 87th minute he got a ball played into him in the box from Tawanda Melusi and slotted it in the bottom right hand corner for what was only a consolation goal as the game finished 3-1.

Written by Liam Vaughan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *