MATCH REPORT: Rylands 1-0 St Martins

The saints travelled away to Gorsey Lane to take on top of the table Rylands FC in what turned out to be a game in which both sides battled well and it resulted in a 1-0 win for Rylands.

First half:

The early minutes of the game looked strong from St Martins as they piled on plenty of pressure as Rylands attempted to pass it out from the back. Although the saints played good pressure, the first chance of the game fell to the home side to as they found themselves with a chance on the edge of the box, took a shot but George Austin watched the shot drift past his post. This was shortly followed up by our first chance of the game which fell to Karl Bailey, he was played through but still had a defender to beat as he attempted to fire an early shot and catch the keeper out in the bottom right hand corner but the Rylands goalkeeper got down to it to deny Bailey. The game then went quiet as both sides were trying to figure each other out and get a goal but neither were succeeding; The saints did get themselves very close though as a free kick was played in from the right hand side, it pinballed around the box until it fell to Tawanda Melusi who managed to get a shot towards goal a couple yards out but it drifted inches wide of the post. There was one more St Martins chance before the two sides headed in for half time; a low powerful ball was played in across the box but the Rylands defender just beat Karl Bailey to what would’ve been a tap in. It was a deadlock at the break.

Second half:

The second half carried on where the first half finished as both sides were struggling to break each other down. George Austin did get his first real test of the game as a Rylands played in a very dangerous cross which could’ve gone anywhere, ended up bouncing off of a St Martins defender which forced Austin to pull off an impressive reflex save to keep it out. St Martins did struggle for a little portion of the game as rylands carried on creating chances from crosses into the box and the saints couldn’t seem to get a steady set of play to attack for themselves. This ended up resulting in the home side taking the lead late on as they scored from a corner which was unfortunate for the hard worked St Martins side. We then had to restart as we looked to get something from this game with only 5 minutes left of the game. The Saints unfortunately came away with the loss in a game in which they battled well.

Written by Liam Vaughan

Photo: Rylands Football Club

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *