MATCH REPORT: Alsager Town 1-1 St Martins

The Saints travelled away to play Alsager FC in a game which brought plenty of chances for saints and a bit of fortune for Alsager in a game which resulted in the points being shared at WoodPark Stadium in a 1-1 draw.

First half:

The first half was interesting and showed how the rest of the match was going to be played out. The saints pressed very well early on and this resulted in us seeing plenty of ball and being the dominant side, we had our fair share of chances in this first and throughout the game but we had a reoccurring segment of creating the chances and being inefficient with out finishing. We had an early disadvantage as Calum Bennet received a harsh red card for what seemed to be an misunderstanding with the referee but this didn’t take away from our momentum as we carried on attempting to find that unlocking key into the Alsager defence and get a goal before half time but it was to no avail as the first half ended at a goalless deadlock between the two sides.

Second half:

The saints started off the second half the same as the first half as they came out strong, with good pressure and there was a short spell of good passing from the saints to create a couple chance but were unlucky not to get the leading goal. Alsager got their first noticeable chance of the game as their midfielder picked up the ball on the edge of the box, went for goal but George Austin watched it roll wide of the post. Shortly after the home side did break the deadlock with a very unusual goal as their winger played in a cross which took an unfortunate bobble and dinked over George Austins head to put them 1 ahead. The saints attempted to respond quickly as Karl Bailey picked up a good chance on the edge of the box but couldn’t keep the shot down and in the end didn’t trouble the Alsager goalkeeper. The saints then carried on trying to respond as they kept their heads up and created plenty of chances but had the same problem of lacking the final finish; that was until the seventy fourth minute where a corner cross was played into the box where MOTM Stuart Dickin put it away for the deserved equaliser. The game was seen out with much of the same as the saints had a few chances, Alsager had a good chance but it was denied by a good George Austin save. To end off the game there was a very good chance on the edge of the box to get the winner but it was put over the bar and the game ended level.

Overall, St martins played well and we’re very unlucky not to come away with all three points as they had plenty of chances but could not finish.

Match report by Liam Vaughan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *