MATCH REPORT: St Martins 1-1 Wythenshawe Town

The Saints faced 6th place Wythenshawe town at home for a very tight 90 minutes of football and 3 points would’ve meant a whole lot to either side had they have got it, as wythenshawe sit in 6th just below St Martins who are in 5th.

First half 

It wasn’t the start The Saints could have asked for as wythenshawe had picked up an early corner, crossed it in and The Saints players couldn’t get a touch onto it to clear it as Wythenshawe’s captain Chris Middleton had already nodded it in to the back of the net; admittedly it was a slow start to the game from The Saints as Wythenshawe created some chances but we slowly got our bearings and started attacking with a lot of confidence we had a lot of good movement, good passing and that all led to our first goal in the 13th minute as our midfielders and forwards played some very nice link up play, worked as a team and got the result as Callum Bennet blasted a shot at the Wythenshawe keeper and he couldn’t keep it out as it trickled into the back of the net to equalise.

It was an exciting first half which was full of action, the game had a reoccurring theme which was that the momentum constantly shifted between both sides; the Saints were creating plenty of chances as Tawanda Melusi found himself with some space in the box after some good build up play but the Wythenshawe defenders were quick to close him down before he could get his shot off. Wythenshawe’s Captain Chris Middleton did score a second but it was flagged offside.

Second half 1-1

As both sides were looking to break this deadlock in the second half The Saints came out with a game plan, they applied a lot of pressure and were very determined when they had the ball at their feet as only in the 56th minute the team were passing through the midfield very well, they found space for David Easthope on the edge of the box but his shot just skimmed the outside of the post.

The saints kept up the momentum from the first half as they carried on creating plenty of chances as Brendon Price had a low cross played into him from the right side but he just wasn’t quick enough to finish it; Wythenshawe also created their fair share of chances but nothing clear cut as both sides resolute defending quickly shut down the chance of any goals. The Saints tried to make an impact sub with Callum Graybrook coming off the bench to replace David Easthope in the 84th minute but with such little time Callum struggled to make an immediate impact in terms of a goal as the game ended level.

Full Time 1-1

The saints struggling to get the winner as the points were shared at home after a very good 90 minutes of football between these two sides. It was very entertaining and fair to say that both teams deserved to take away a point; both teams were very organised and the score line shows it, they both dominated certain sections of the match but nobody could find the winning goal to grab all three points. Onto the next. 

Report written by Liam Vaughan

Photo: Andy Easthope

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *