MATCH REPORT: Wythenshawe Amateurs 1-0 St Martins

The Saints suffered defeat on the road to second placed Wythenshawe Ams through a first half goal.
The Saints named an unchanged team from the one that held Cheadle Nomads to a draw last weekend.
The game started in pretty dull fashion with both sides trying to gain control, but neither side mustered a chance until 18th minute when the Ams left back smashed a shot from a tight angel but Austin palmed it away from a standing position.
The same player had an opportunity from a dangerous freekick but he fired over.
On 22 minutes, the deadlock was broken, a long ball found No. 11 out on the left, he ran at Bates who showed him inside onto his stronger foot and he smashed the ball into the bottom corner. It was poor defending from Bates and a learning curve he will learn from, as after that he grew into the game.
In all honesty, for the rest of the game, it was all St. Martins, Brendon Price produced two great crosses where the Saints should of scored from, Melusi had a great opportunity when he road challenges and got himself in the box, the keeper saved his effort and Millington blazed the follow up over. The final chance of the half came from a Easthope Free kick which was inches wide.
Half time 1-0
The second half was attack against defence and Ams where camped in their own half for most of the half.
The Saints where turning the screw and on 57 had a good opportunity but Melusi wanted too much time on the ball.
On 65 minutes, the Saints should of been level. Good play from Melusi set up Jordy Davies and his effort beat the keeper but great defending from No. 2 cleared the ball off the line.
The Saints where piling constant pressure but not really testing the keeper too much! Ams where last ditch defending well and fighting for their points.
On 81 minutes, Easthope produced a great ball to release Tom Ash who was in on goal but he tripped over his own feet and the chance went.
In stoppage time, The Saints where looking for the equaliser and twice had the ball cleared off the line in efforts from Easthope and Davies again, a real blow.
Full time 1-0
A real disappointing result but a really good performance from the lads who arguably could of taken three points, never mind one. We just lacked a bit of clinical finishing in the final third.   Its a joy to see when you see a set of lads leave everything on the pitch for the club and we have got a fantastic set of players and staff at the club.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *