Derek Stokes Trophy: St Martins 5-3 Ellesmere Rangers

Tonight’s game brought everyone together to remember club legend, Derek Stokes. St Martins took on local rivals Ellesmere Rangers, which had the potential to be great game between two sides which will be playing against each other next season in the Hallmark Security League.

It was the Saints who found themselves creating the first chance of the game. Walters finds himself in space out wide and drives into the Ellesmere box. he plays a great ball across the face of goal however no one could get the slightest of touches to turn it in and put the Saints ahead.

It took until the 29th minute before the first goal came, and it was the Saints who took the lead. After winning a free kick in a wide position, Hartshorn plays a quick ball to Hughes on the edge of the box, once controlling it he has ago from the outside the area and the ball finds itself into the top corner.

However, their lead didn’t last long. in the 31st minute Ellesmere got a goal back with a quick counter attack straight from kick off.

The Saints almost had a chance to go ahead just before half time. Hartshorn plays a through ball for Ash to run at, he plays a great ball into the 6-yard box but again no one could get a touch to put the Saints ahead, and so the teams go in level at half time.

With the Saints making several changes at half time, they soon made an impact on the game in the 52nd minute. After some superb passing football from the Saints, Price gets the ball and plays it into the feet of Easthope, who pokes home into the far corner to put the Saints ahead.

A few minutes later, the Saints extended their lead to 3-1. After some more fantastic passing play, Hartshorn’s back heal gives Melusi space to find the near post and squeeze the ball past the frozen Ellesmere goalkeeper.

in the 69th minute, the visitors got a goal back. Their first chance smashes against the cross bar, however someone is their to pick up the rebound and put it past the ‘keeper.

Seconds later, Ellesmere get an equaliser. After the Saints loose a free kick, the visitors quickly break at the Saints defence, a simple ball across goal is smashed in at the near post.

Into the final 10 minutes, and the Saints take the lead again. A great attacking move from the Saints finds Melusi combing with Easthope, who flicks the ball back to Melusi to find some space, who the squares the ball back to Easthope to finish and put the Saints ahead.

in the final minutes, the Saints make it 5. After some more superb attacking play out wide, Bennett finds himself in the box and finishes off a great move and seals the win for the Saints.

A superb team display in the second half secures the victory for St Martins, who keep the Derek Stokes Trophy at the club to remember the club legend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *